The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund Programs & Projects
The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund's campaigns empower and mobilize advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
Below are some of the highlights of The Education Fund's work, which illustrate its unique role as the research, education, field organizing, and communications arm of the civil rights coalition.
- Email Newsletters - including action alerts and the weekly newsletter "Monitor Weekly"
- Blog: Unfinished Business - civil and human rights news and information from around the web
- Civil Rights Monitor - an annual publication that summarizes the year's major civil rights issues
National Public Education Campaigns
- Transportation Equity – a campaign to educate Americans about the need to expand access to affordable and reliable transportation, which widens opportunity and is essential to addressing poverty, unemployment, and other equal opportunity goals such as access to good schools and health care services. (2011-current)
- Americans for a Fair Chance - a campaign to educate Americans about the benefits of affirmative action, timed to coincide with the U.S. Supreme Court decisions in the University of Michigan affirmative action cases. (2003-current)
- Partners Against Hate - a program of outreach, public education, and training designed to prevent, deter, and reduce juvenile hate-related behavior (in collaboration with the Anti-Defamation League and the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence)
- Census 2010: It's Time. Make Yourself Count. - a national and grassroots campaign to make sure that hard-to-count communities are informed about, and participate in, the 2010 census (2009-2010)
- Digital Television Transition - a national and grassroots campaign to make sure that the most affected and most vulnerable communities are informed about the transition to digital television (2008-2009)
- Save Our Courts - a national campaign to educate the public and advocates about the importance of a fair and independent judiciary (2005-2006)
- Protect Voting Rights: Renew the VRA - a national and grassroots education campaign about the need for strong and vigorous voting rights protections (2005-2006)
- Realize the Dream - a national campaign to inform the nation of the progress made since Brown v. Board of Education, and the important work left to be done. (2004-2010)
- Restore Civil Rights - a national campaign to educate Americans about how our civil rights are being eroded and FAIRNESS: The Civil Rights Act of 2004 (2004)
- Fair Housing Law: an award-winning multimedia campaign to increase public awareness of the Fair Housing Act and its protections, encourage the reporting of fair housing discrimination, and provide resources to help communities and institutions support individuals and families who exercise their fair housing rights. (2003)
- Everyone Counts! Census Education - a national public education campaign to increase understanding of the importance of a fair and accurate census. (2000)
- National Anti-Discrimination Campaign - a long-term education and communications campaign in partnership with the Ad Council to promote interracial understanding, to combat bigotry of all kinds, and to help build a new national consensus to work toward the elimination of discrimination
- Immigration Reform Campaign - a public education campaign focused on legislative and administrative policies that undermine the rights of noncitizens
- Ad Council's Golden Bell Award for the Best PSA of 2003