The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award Dinner
The Leadership Conference's annual Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award Dinner is the year's largest and most diverse civil and human rights celebration.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award is presented to those who best exemplify "selfless and devoted service in the cause of equality."
The award was established by The Leadership Conference in 1977 to honor Hubert Humphrey and those who emulate his dedication to and passion for civil rights. His words still echo in our continuing fight to advance equality, and the Humphrey Award is the civil rights community’s highest honor.
The 37th Annual Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award Dinner
The 37th annual Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award Dinner will be held on May 2, 2013, at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C.
The Washington Hilton
1919 Connecticut Avenue
N.W. Washington, DC
The Education Fund Reception sponsored by UPS®, 5:30 p.m.
Humphrey Award Dinner, 7:00 p.m.
The Leadership Conference is especially pleased that the 2013 Hubert H. Humphrey Civil and Human Rights Award will be bestowed upon:
- Barbara Arnwine, President and Executive Director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Martin Eakes, Chief Executive Officer, Self-Help and Center for Responsible Lending
Videos of Previous Honorees
Previous Honorees & Dinner Highlights
- 2011 Dinner
- Richard Trumka, Shirley Sherrod, and Joe Solmonese
- 2010 Dinner
- Sen. Patrick Leahy, Karen Narasaki, Gara LaMarche, and Harry Belafonte
- 2009 Dinner
- Sheila Bair and Van Jones
- 2008 Dinner
- The Honorable John Conyers, Jr., Patricia Rouse, and Soledad O'Brien
- 2007 Dinner
- William J. Clinton, Dr. John Hope Franklin, and L. Tammy Duckworth
- 2006 Dinner
- The Film "Crash" and Monica Lozano
- 2005 Dinner
- Julian Bond, Tom Daschle, and Ginny Thornburgh
- 2004 Dinner
- Tom Joyner, Gerald McEntee, and the Honorable Connie Morella
- 2003 Dinner
- The Honorable John Lewis, Northwestern University's Medill Innocence Project, The Center on Wrongful Convictions, and the Sesame Workshop
- 2002 Dinner
- Danny Glover, Elizabeth Birch, and David Saperstein
- 2001 Dinner
- Maya Lin, Franklin D. Raines, and William L. Taylor
- 2000 Dinner
- Vernon E. Jordan Jr., Judith L. Lichtman, Wilma Mankiller, Edward James Olmos, and John J. Sweeney
- 1999 Dinner
- Ruby Dee & Ossie Davis, Governor Gary Locke, and Jeannie VanVelkinburgh
- 1998 Dinner
- Debbie Allen, the Honorable Bob Lanier, and Steven Spielberg
- 1997 Dinner
- Tipper Gore and Dolores Huerta
- 1996 Dinner
- Myrlie Evers-Williams, the Honorable Kweisi Mfume, , and the Honorable Norman Y. Mineta
- 1995 Dinner
- Ralph G. Neas Jr.
- 1994 Dinner
- The Honorable Henry Cisneros, the Honorable Hamilton Fish Jr., and Elaine R. Jones
- 1993 Dinner
- Justin Dart Jr., Dr. Dorothy I. Height, and Raul Yzaguirre
- 1992 Dinner
- Benjamin L. Hooks, Patrisha A. Wright, and Kenneth Young
- 1991 Dinner
- William T. Coleman Jr., Antonia Hernandez, and Dick Warden
- 1990 Dinner
- The Honorable Augustus Hawkins
- 1989 Dinner
- The Honorable Barbara Jordan, and the Honorable Lowell P. Weicker Jr.
- 1988 Dinner
- Ellen Goodman and the Honorable Edward M. Kennedy
- 1987 Dinner
- Herbert L. Block, James Farmer, and Wiley Branton
- 1986 Dinner
- Dr. Mary Frances Berry, the Honorable Charles McC. Mathias Jr., and the Honorable Parren Mitchell
- 1985 Dinner
- Arnold Aronson, Marian Wright Edelman, J.C. Turner, and Willie Velasquez
- 1984 Dinner
- Joseph L. Rauh Jr.
- 1983 Dinner
- Douglas Fraser and Rosina Tucker
- 1982 Dinner
- The Honorable Don Edwards and Arthur S. Flemming
- 1981 Dinner
- AFL-CIO and Lane Kirkland
- 1980 Dinner
- George Meany and Clarence M. Mitchell Jr.
- 1979 Dinner
- Andrew Biemiller and the Rev. Msgr. George Higgins
- 1978 Dinner
- The Honorable Edward W. Brooke, and the Honorable Peter Rodino
- 1977 Dinner
- The Honorable Philip Hart