The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
ADA Amendments Act of 2008
President Bush signed the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 into law on September 25, 2008. The law restores Congress' original intent to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
The new law overturns recent Supreme Court decisions that have reduced protections for certain people with disabilities – including people with diabetes, epilepsy, heart disease, mental disabilities, and cancer – who were originally intended to be covered by the ADA. The ADA prohibits discrimination against Americans with physical and mental disabilities in such areas as employment, public accommodations, and transportation.
- ADA Amendments Act Becomes Law - Feature Story - 9/25/08
- ADA Amendments Act Restores Civil Rights to Americans with Disabilities - Press Release - 9/25/08
- Unusual Bed Fellows Urge President Bush to Sign the ADA Amendments Act into Law - Press Release - 9/17/08
- LCCR Urges President Bush to Sign The ADA Amendments Act into Law and Restore Critical Civil Rights Protections - Press Release - 9/17/08
- Senate Passes the ADA Amendments Act - Feature Story - 9/11/08
- Civil Rights, Disability, and Business Communities Applaud Senate Passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act - Press Release - 9/11/08
- Senate Amends the Americans with Disabilities Act with Resounding Bipartisan Support - Press Release - 9/11/08
- Senate Introduces ADA Amendments Act - Feature Story - 8/5/08
- Senate Introduces Bipartisan Bill to Amend the Americans with Disabilities Act - Press Release - 8/1/08
- Senate Committee Hears Testimony on ADA Amendments Act - Feature Story - 7/22/08
- House Passes ADA Amendments Act, Expanding Civil Rights for People with Disabilities - Feature Story - 6/27/08
- Employers and Disability Advocates Laud Amendments to Landmark Americans with Disabilities Act - Press Release - 6/25/08
- Disability Rights Groups and Employer Groups Work Together on Bill to Restore ADA - Feature Story - 6/18/08
- Employers and Disability Advocates Push for Amendments to Landmark Americans with Disabilities Act - Press Release - 6/18/08
- Activists Promote Restoration of Americans with Disabilities Act - Feature Story - 1/23/08
- Support the Americans with Disabilities Restoration Act of 2007 (Senate) - Advocacy Letter - 11/14/07
- Support the Americans with Disabilities Restoration Act of 2007 (House) - Advocacy Letter - 11/14/07