The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
School Diversity Cases in the Supreme Court: Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District and Meredith v. Jefferson County Board of Education
The cases Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District and Meredith v. Jefferson County Board of Education involve constitutional challenges to local school authorities' use of voluntary, race-conscious student assignment plans. Two federal courts of appeal upheld the plans, and plaintiffs took their claims to the Supreme Court.
Several amicus, or friend-of-the-court, briefs were filed in support of the school districts, arguing that their programs are constitutional.
An amicus brief filed by The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund cited a well-documented legal history supporting the constitutionality of the schools' policies upheld by both lower courts and Supreme Court. It also underscored the important role school diversity plays in the education of both white and minority children.
On June 28, 2007, the Supreme Court voted to reaffirm that educational diversity remains a compelling governmental interest. At the same time, a majority of the court found that the plans in Louisville and Seattle were not narrowly tailored to meet the constitutional standard.
- Supreme Court Rules in School Diversity Cases - 06/28/07
- Supreme Court to Review School Diversity Policies - 10/11/06
- Civil Rights Coalition Files Friend-of-the-Court Brief in Support of School Diversity - Press Release - 10/10/06
- Meredith v. Jefferson County Board of Education Fact Sheet (pdf) - NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1 Fact Sheet (pdf) - NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Leadership Conference/Education Fund Amicus Curiae Brief (pdf)
- Other Legal Documents (court decisions, school district briefs, and amicus briefs)