The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Community Reinvestment Act
Gaps in minority homeownership are the result of ongoing housing discrimination and the failure of changes in public and subsidized federal housing programs to adequately consider the rights and interests of low income and minority communities.
The Community Reinvestment Act, enacted in 1977, offers an additional tool in the battle against redlining and similar practices, by encouraging banks and thrifts to invest in all segments of the community from which they collect deposits, including minority neighborhoods.
The CRA is one of the most effective programs helping those in minority communities develop a strong economic and financial foundation. It has resulted in more than $1 trillion of loans and credit committed to individuals and businesses and for housing development in low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. In addition, the CRA has had an enormous impact on communities of color; it has helped to increase economic opportunities and the accumulation of wealth for people previously excluded from America's bounty.
About the CRA
- A Brief Description of CRA - National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- CRA Questions & Answers - National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Why We Need the CRA - YouTube Video - National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- CRA Statue & Tools - FDIC
Reports & Updates
- Assessing the Necessity and Efficiency of the Community Reinvestment Act - Fannie Mae Foundation - July 2005
- New Report from LCCR/LCEF Calls for the Revamping of the Community Reinvestment Act - 7/17/02
- Building Healthy Communities: The Community Reinvestment Act and the Financial Modernization Movement - The Leadership Conference/The Education Fund - July 2002
- Community Reinvestment Modernization Act of 2001 - Civil Rights Monitor, Spring 2002
- Community Reinvestment and Cities: A Literature Review of CRAs Impact and Future - Brookings - April 2000