The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
CHIP, formerly called the State Children's Health Insurance Program or SCHIP, provides health insurance for low-income children from families who are not covered by private insurance and do not qualify for Medicaid.
A reauthorization and expansion of the bill was signed into law on February 4, 2009, expanding coverage for millions of additional children.
The program helps states provide health insurance for more than 11 million uninsured children, as well as pregnant women. The 2009 reauthorization extended coverage to legal immigrant children and pregnant women who have lived in the United States for less than five years.
More About CHIP
- Children's Health Insurance Program Enacted; Four Million More Children Covered - 2/4/09
- Civil Rights Groups Applaud New Law for Children’s Health Care - Press Release - 2/4/09
- Senate Reauthorizes State Children's Health Insurance Program; Covers Legal Immigrant Children - 1/30/09
- House Approves Expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program - 1/16/09
- House Vote: Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act - Leadership Conference Voting Record 2008
- Reauthorization of Children’s Health Insurance Program Critical - 8/22/07
- Advocates Push for More Funding for Children's Health Care Program - 4/4/07
Fact Sheets & Reports
- Latino Children's Health and Well-Being: SCHIP Makes All the Difference - Report - NCLR - 10/2/07
- Children's Health Insurance: Just the Facts - Center for American Progress - 7/27/07
- Children’s Health Care Benefits: A Key Issue in SCHIP Reauthorization - Report - Center for American Progress - 6/27/07
- The SCHIP Shortfall Crisis: Ramifications for Minority Children - Report - Center for American Progress - 3/21/07
- SCHIP and Children's Health Coverage: Leveling the Playing Field for Minority Children (pdf) - Report - Families USA - 12/1/06
- SCHIP and Children’s Health Coverage: Fitting the Pieces Together (pdf) - Families USA - November 2006SCHIP 101: What Is the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, and How Does It Work? (pdf) - Families USA - January 2006
- Impact of the House Medicaid and Tax Policies on Low-Income Children - Fact Sheet - Center for American Progress - 11/10/05
- SCHIP Fact Sheet - Families USA
- Children's Health Fact Sheet - AFL-CIO
Leadership Conference Letters to Congress
- Enact a Strong SCHIP Reauthorization Bill (Senate) - 01/27/09
- Enact a Strong SCHIP Reauthorization Bill (House) - 01/13/09
- SCHIP Letter (Senate) - 08/01/07
- SCHIP Letter (House) - 08/01/07
- Advocacy Letter to House Leaders about Funding for SCHIP - 03/13/07
- Advocacy Letter to Senate Leaders about Funding for SCHIP - 03/13/07