The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
REAL ID Act
The REAL ID Act, passed in May 2005, imposes certain security standards and issuance procedures on state-issued driver's licenses and ID cards. More controversially, it requires verification of an applicant's immigration status, "background checks" on documents used to prove identity, and the sharing of driver's license database information between states.Opponents of the bill said the bill, with its sweeping language relating to border security, asylum, drivers' licenses, and judicial review of immigration decisions, capitalized on anti-immigrant sentiment and fear.
Potential Expansion of REAL ID Act (2007)
Provisions of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 would have required all employers to verify both the identity and the employment eligibility of all potential employees under the requirements of the REAL ID Act. However, most states have stated that they will not comply with the REAL ID Act, due to its outrageously high costs and administrative burdens. As a result, Americans living in such states would have not been able to legally obtain new jobs in 2013 unless they obtain a passport (currently costing $97).
- Senate Vote on REAL ID Amendment - Voting Record 2008
- Say "No" to National ID: Support Baucus-Tester Amendment to S. 1348 - Advocacy Letter - 06/07/07
REAL ID Act Implementation by States
Citing administrative burdens and civil rights and civil liberties concerns, several state legislatures openly oppose implementation of the REAL ID Act and either passed legislation to counter it or are considering such measures. Portions of the Real ID Act pertaining to states were originally scheduled to take effect in May 2008, but the deadline has been extended twice in hopes of gaining more support from states. The current deadline is in 2011.
- States Revolt against REAL ID - Feature Story - 4/2/08
- The REAL ID Shell Game - Feature Story - 1/16/08
- States Lead the Drive to Repeal REAL ID - Feature Story - 2/27/07
Efforts to Repeal the REAL ID Act
Enacted with no hearings, with minimal debate, and rushed through Congress as part of an unrelated emergency appropriations measure, the REAL ID Act mandates drastic and expensive changes to the manner in which states produce drivers' licenses and other forms of ID. Critics of the REAL ID Act believe that the law must be repealed.
- Backlash against the REAL ID Act Grows - Civil Rights Monitor Winter 2007
- LCCR Letter to Rep. Allen on REAL ID - Advocacy Letter - 02/26/07
Passage of REAL ID Act of 2005
The "REAL ID Act," a package of anti-immigrant provisions, became law on May 11, 2005.
Critics of the bill said it would include several harsh and even unprecedented changes: letting the Secretary of Homeland Security waive any federal law that he thinks might slow down the construction of barriers at the U.S.-Mexico border; making it harder for asylum seekers to prove their claims; causing undocumented immigrants to drive without licenses or insurance; preventing federal courts from reviewing many immigration rulings; and privatizing law enforcement by giving bail bondsmen vast powers - with few safeguards - to arrest immigrants.
- Anti-immigrant "REAL ID" Act Becomes Law - Civil Rights Monitor Fall/Winter 2005
- Wade Henderson: "REAL ID Act Won't Make America Any Safer" - Press Release - The Leadership Conference - 5/3/05
- Oppose Dangerous Disregard For The Rule Of Law - Advocacy Letter - 04/25/05
- Opposition to the REAL ID Act of 2005 - Advocacy Letter - 04/12/05
- Anti-Immigrant 'REAL ID' Passes House - Feature Story - 4/7/05
- Civil Rights Coalition Calls REAL ID Act a Power Grab, Sharply Criticizing Anti-immigrant Provisions - Press Release - The Leadership Conference - 4/5/05
- Oppose the 'REAL ID Act of 2005' - Advocacy Letter - 04/04/05
- Civil and Human Rights Groups Strongly Oppose Anti-Immigrant 'REAL ID Act' - Feature Story - 3/17/05
- Oppose H.R. 418, The "REAL ID Act of 2005" - Advocacy Letter - 03/15/05