The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Stereotypes & Racism Against Native Americans
The offensive use of mascots by schools and professional sports teams reflects outdated stereotypes and perpetuates racism against Native Americans. In recent years, many high schools, colleges, and universities have retired their Native American sports team nicknames, mascots, and logos.
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission, New York Department of Education Call for End to Native American Mascots - 5/1/01
- FAQs about the institutionalized use of "Indian" sports team tokens - AISTM
- Stereotyping of Native Americans - Department of Teaching and Learning Technologies at the University of Nevada, Reno
- The Deculturalization of Indigenous Mascots in U.S. Sports Culture - The Educational Forum - Summer 1999
Racism & Hate Crimes
Native Americans are disproportionately the victims of bias-related crimes.
- FBI: Indians Still Most Assaulted in Hate Crimes - Native American Netroots - 11/23/08
- Indian Blood: Hate Crimes Against American Indians - Southern Poverty Law Center - Winter 2006
- NCAI Calls for Apology Over Racist Cartoon - 4/22/03
- One In 10 Hate Crimes Target American Indians - Indianz.Com - 10/1/01