Press Release - The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
Bipartisan Criminal Justice Event with AG Holder, Sens. Lee, Paul, Whitehouse, Civil Rights and Conservative Orgs
Morning Event Will Bring Together Bipartisan Policymakers, Thought Leaders, and Advocates
For Immediate Release
Contact: Shin Inouye, 202.869.0398, email@example.com
February 7, 2014
WASHINGTON – On Tuesday, February 11, from 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 noon, a bipartisan group of policymakers, thought leaders, and advocates will come together for a symposium on advancing criminal justice reform. The event is sponsored by The Leadership Conference Education Fund and the Vera Institute of Justice and will take place at Georgetown University Law Center’s Gewirz Student Center.
Some highlights of the event include:
- Attorney General Eric Holder will discuss the Department of Justice’s ongoing “Smart on Crime” initiative and criminal justice reform.
- Senators Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) will discuss the growing bipartisan momentum in Congress for a legislative overhaul of our criminal justice system.
- A panel discussion will feature thought leaders from the ACLU, Heritage Foundation, the Aleph Institute, and Justice Fellowship, who will discuss current initiatives relating to re-entry, sentencing reform, prison reform, and alternatives to incarceration.
The guest list of fewer than 100 people is representative of the bipartisan consensus that has formed around criminal justice reform.
RSVP INFORMATION: Media must RSVP to Scott Simpson at Simpson@civilrights.org no later than 12:00 p.m. EST on MONDAY, Feb. 10, 2014. Registered media will receive an email including further logistical information. All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials.
WHAT: Bipartisan symposium on criminal justice reform with policymakers, advocates, and thought leaders featuring Attorney General Eric Holder, Senator Mike Lee (R-UT), Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and leaders from the ACLU, Heritage Foundation, Justice Fellowship, and Aleph Institute. Event is sponsored by The Leadership Conference Education Fund and the Vera Institute of Justice.
WHERE: Georgetown University Law Center’s Gewirz Student Center, 120 F Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
WHEN: Tuesday, February 11, 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 noon
- 9:00 – Opening remarks and introduction of Attorney General Eric Holder:
- William M. Treanor, dean of Georgetown University Law Center
- Nicholas Turner, president and director of the Vera Institute of Justice
- Wade Henderson, president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund
- 9:10 – Attorney General Eric Holder speaks on the “Smart on Crime” initiative and criminal justice reform.
- 9:30 – Bipartisan panel on criminal justice reform opportunities in 2014
- Moderator: Christine Leonard, Director, Washington, D.C. Office, Vera Institute of Justice
- Laura Murphy, Director, Washington Legislative Office, ACLU
- John Malcolm, Senior Legal Fellow, The Heritage Foundation
- Craig DeRoche, President, Justice Fellowship
- Rabbi Aaron Lipskar, Executive Director, Aleph Institute
- 11:00 – Introduction of Senators by Nicholas Turner
- 11:05-11:50 – Senators Lee, Paul, and Whitehouse speak on the bipartisan momentum in Congress for reform
- 11:50-12:00 – Closing remarks by Wade Henderson