The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Confronting the New Faces of Hate: Hate Crimes in America 2009
Leadership Conference on Civil Rights Education Fund - June 2009
For many, the election of President Barack Obama appeared to close the book on a long history of inequality in America. But the spate of racially-motivated hate crimes and violence against minorities and immigrants that occurred before and after Election Day makes clear that a final victory over prejudice and racial hostility remains elusive.
It is time for our nation to redouble its efforts to combat the commission of hate crimes in America.
This report is an update of our 2004 report, Cause for Concern. Sadly, five years later, the problem of hate crimes continues to be a significant national concern that demands priority attention. The purpose of this report is to highlight the need for a coordinated response by every sector of society to eradicate this problem.
View the report by section below, or download a printable version of the full report (pdf).
Table of Contents
- Hate in America: A 2009 Environmental Scan
- The FBI Hate Crime Statistics Act Data Undercounts the Number of Hate Crimes
- The Legal Landscape: The Scope of Hate Crime Laws in America
- The Role of Extremist Anti-Immigration Groups
- The Infiltration of Mainstream Media
The Human Face of Hate Crimes
- Hate Crimes Against African Americans
- Hate Crimes Against Hispanics
- Hate Crimes Against Jews
- Hate Crimes Against Asian Pacific Americans
- Hate Crimes Against Arab Americans, Muslims, and Sikhs
- Hate Crimes Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals
- Hate Crimes Against Individuals With Disabilities
- Hate Crimes Against Women
- Hate Crimes Against Juveniles
- Set the tone for a civil national discourse on Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- Ensure a strong law enforcement response to confront violent bigotry
- Complement tough laws and vigorous enforcement with education and training initiatives designed to reduce prejudice
Appendix B | Comparison of FBI Hate Crimes Statistics (2007-1997)
Appendix F | HCSA Big 50 Cities Reporting Chart (2007-1992)