2008 General Election Voter Resources
The resources below are from LCCR coalition members and other organizations.
AARP Voter Guide - Presidential, Senate, and House candidates answer questions about issues important to AARP members and their families.
- Just Vote '08 - Resources to make sure voters know their rights, are ready to vote and help address election protection in their communities.
- Poll worker Election Protection Palm Card - State specific poll worker palm cards to serve as a quick reference of common problems that poll workers face on Election Day.
- My Vote, My Right - The AFL-CIO 2008 Voting Rights Protection Program, seeks to ensure votes cast at the ballot box are properly counted. Please use our materials to assist your own voting rights protection activities, and contact us if you want to help with ours.
- AFL-CIO Working Families Vote - Learn more about how to register and vote in your state, and get more information on your state's candidates.
American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
- 2008 Presidential Election Action Center - View candidates' records on disability.
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
- Know Your Voting Rights - State by State - The Voting Rights Project of the ACLU is dedicated to providing citizens with information and assistance in exercising their right to vote! For more information or to voice a voting rights complaint, call 1-877-523-2792, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- AAUW Voter Guide - Nonpartisan information about candidate positions on AAUW priority issues that are important to women and families.
- Congressional Voting Guide - AAUW’s congressional voting record informs AAUW members of positions taken by their senators and representatives on the Association's federal legislative priorities. This voting record provides information about how senators and representatives voted on AAUW’s issues including education, economic security, civil rights, and budget and appropriations.
American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC)
- Know Your Voting Rights - This resource debunks myths about voting.
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
- Asian American Election Protection Project - Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Khmer-speaking volunteers will be at poll sites to take complaints from voters about election irregularities, the availability of Asian-language assistance, and other problems.
Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIA Vote)
- Community Organizer Toolkit - Get educated about APIA issues and download a toolkit to help you register your friends, family, and community.
- Voter Education 101 – Information for those who are new to the American political process or want to know more about the issues that affect Asian & Pacific Islander Americans.
Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- Guide to the Voting Rights of People with Mental Disabilities - The opportunity to participate in the democratic process is a fundamental right, yet many Americans with disabilities face barriers to exercising their rights as citizens. The Bazelon Center works to expand access to the polls for people with mental disabilities.
- Voting Rights Flyer (PDF) - Explains basic voting rights for voters with mental disabilities.
- Providing Help to Voters with Disabilities: What You Should Know (PDF) - For advocates, family members, poll workers and others, on providing help to voters with disabilities - who can, and how.
Brennan Center for Justice
- Student Voting Rights - This guide explains the basic residency, registration, identification, and absentee voting requirements for student voters in each of the 50 states and the D.C.
- Presidential Candidate Positions on Media Reform (PDF) - Analysis of Presidential candidate positions on media reform including net neutrality, media consolidation, and women and minority media ownership.
- Is America Ready to Vote? State Preparations for Voting Machine Problems in 2008 (PDF) - In the face of election system problems such as broken machines, damaged voting system cartridges, software glitches, incorrectly programmed tally servers, and other voting system problems we have seen in the past few years, we have attempted to determine which procedures each state has adopted in order to ensure the integrity of every citizen’s vote. Our essential question: In the event of voting system failures, how prepared is each state to ensure that every voter can vote and that each vote cast is counted?
- Voting in 2008: Ten Swing States (PDF) - This report assesses how much progress has been made in the past two years in improving the voting process, and identifies what still needs to be done.
- GoVote - Registration, poll locations and ID requirements
- Pollworkers for Democracy - An effort to recruit, train, and network citizen pollworkers
- Voting FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions on voter registration; primaries, caucuses and elections; and election day.
Election Protection Coalition
- Election Protection Coalition Hotline - Questions about where or how to vote? Want to report a problem voting? Call the Election Protection hotline at 1-866-OUR-VOTE.
- Election Protection Flyer in English (pdf)
- Election Protection Flyer in English & Spanish on the same page (pdf)
The Employment Law Post
- Time Off to Vote for Employees — A State by State Survey - A list of state laws requiring employers to give employees time off work to vote.
Go Vote Absentee
- Go Vote Absentee - Type in your zip code and get all the information you need to vote absentee.
Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Where the Presidential Candidates Stand on GLBT Issues - An analysis of the candidates' positions on issues of concern to the GLBT community.
- Judicial Elections Guide 2008 - All too often people cast their votes for judges without knowing very much about the candidates they are voting for. But with important issues coming before state courts on a regular basis, it's imperative that you use the voice granted to you by our democracy to elect a fair and impartial candidate.
Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- 2008 Voter Registration Guides - These guides will help volunteers, organizers, and leaders navigate the complex rules that govern voter registration in each state.
League of Women Voters
- Vote411.org - A "one-stop-shop" for election related information, providing nonpartisan information to the public with both general and state-specific information on various aspects of the election process.
- Presidential General Election Voters' Guide - The League invited presidential candidates to provide their perspectives and solutions to a range of policy issues.
Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- NAACP Presidential Candidates Civil Rights Questionnaire - This report provides candidates’ positions on key issues important to racial and ethnic minorities Americans not covered in televised debates.
National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
- Native Vote - Information on Native vote election protection, get out the vote efforts, as well as important tribal issue information for the upcoming election.
National Council of Jewish Women
- Promote the Vote, Protect the Vote Resource Kit (pdf) - This Resource Kit includes planning tips, activity ideas, resources, and information to help you make a difference in the upcoming election.
National Council of La Raza
- A Pocket Guide on Six Important Issues for Latino Voters - This guide highlights six important issues for Latino voters in the upcoming elections.
- Una Guía Sobre Seis Temas Importantes Para Votantes Latinos - Esta guía identifica seis asuntos de importancia para los latinos en las próximas elecciones.
National Women's Law Center
- Why Women Should Vote: What's at Stake - Our government is making decisions every day that affect women's lives. By voting, women can make sure that our leaders in Washington focus on women's priorities. Information on issues that effect women this upcoming election.
Overseas Vote Foundation
- Overseas Voting - Nonpartisan voter registration, ballot request and help desk services for U.S. overseas citizens and uniformed service members and families.
Project Vote Smart
- 2008 Voter's Self Defense Manual - Order this free 100-page booklet that contains samples of elected officials' voting records, campaign finance information, interest group ratings and contact information.
- Voter Registration Information - Voter registration information by state.
Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
- Get out the Vote 2008 – This guide provides you with tools, resources and information to help your congregation or community plan a successful voter engagement effort in advance of Election Day.
Secular Coalition for America
- Election Resources 2008 - News about where the presidential campaigns stand on issues of importance to "secular values voters," questions any candidate for public office should be asked, and tips for organizing secular voters on the ground.
- Federal Voting Assistance Program - Voting help for uniformed service members, their families, and citizens living outside the U.S.
- Colorado: Just Vote Colorado
- Georgia: Fair Elections in Georgia
- Louisiana: Louisiana Votes
- Michigan: Michigan Election Coalition
- Minnesota: Minnesota Participation Project and Take Action Minnesota
- New Mexico: Count Every Vote New Mexico
- North Carolina: Democracy North Carolina
- Ohio: Ohio Votes
- Pennsylvania: Everybody Vote and Common Cause Pennsylvania