The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Violence Against Women/Domestic Violence
The U.S. government estimates one in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
In addition to various state laws, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), passed in 1994, provides funding both toward prosecuting crimes and helping victims, increases penalties for violent crimes against women, and allows victims of gender-based crimes to sue in civil court.
If You Need Help Right Now
- Domestic Violence Hotlines and Resources (national and state/local information) - Feminist Majority Foundation
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Hotlines & Resources - Legal Momentum
Resources for Women Facing Domestic Violence
- Staying Safe FAQ - Womenslaw.org. Includes: internet security, safety with an abuser, getting ready to leave, leaving, after you have left, going to court, and safety in rural areas.
- State Domestic Violence Laws Overview - Womenslaw.org
- Employment and Housing Rights for Victims of Domestic Violence - Legal Momentum
- Legal Resource Kit: Domestic Violence & Child Custody (pdf) - Legal Momentum - 2006
- Legal Resource Kit: Stalking (pdf) - Legal Momentum - 2005
- How Do I Apply for Immigration Benefits as a Battered Spouse or Child? - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Statistics on Violence Against Women in the United States - National Organization for Women
- Fact Sheet Violence Against Women in Indian Country (pdf) - National Congress of American Indians
- Intimate Partner Violence Statistics - Justice Department
- Violence Against Women Fact Sheets - Justice Department
- Domestic Violence Facts - Feminist Majority Foundation
Reports & Resources
- Domestic Violence: Protective Orders and the Role of Police Enforcement - Fact Sheet - ACLU - June 2007
- Surviving Domestic Violence and Disasters - FREDA Centre for Research on Violence against Women and Children - January 1998
- Violence Against Women in the Workplace - AFL-CIO
- Legal Resource Kit: Guide to Court Watching in Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Cases (pdf) - Legal Momentum - 2006
- Office of Violence Against Women - Justice Department
- Stop Family Violence
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and their State Coalition List
- Domestic Violence Prevention Program - MALDEF
- Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence Network
- Violence Against Women Is Against the Law - YouTube video (focus on Native American and Alaskan native communities)