The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 offered the promise of equal employment opportunity by prohibiting job discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. No longer could employers discriminate in hiring, firing, promotions, pay, and other employment decisions. The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund believe that the workplace should cultivate an environment that ensures equal opportunity, protects civil rights, prevents discrimination, and provides the flexibility necessary to meet family needs.
- House Passes Paycheck Fairness Act - 08/05/08
- Supreme Court Employment Discrimination Case Broadens Protection against Retaliation - 07/12/06
- Supreme Court: ADEA Does Not Prohibit 'Reverse' Age Discrimination - 05/13/05
- Supreme Court Affirms Application of Neutral Employee Conduct Rules - 05/13/05
- Report: Sex Discrimination Exists When Women Denied Tenure - 10/26/04
- Civil Rights Groups Voice Concern Over Proposed Change to EEO-1 Form - 06/21/04
- Separate but Equal: Alive and Well at Sodexho - 05/19/04
- Supreme Court Deals Blow to States' Rights - 06/03/03
- EEOC Sees Rise in Discrimination Against Arab-Americans and Muslims - 01/22/03
- The New Glass Ceiling: Mothers - and Fathers -Sue for Discrimination (pdf) - Report - The Program on Gender, Work & Family, American University, Washington College of Law - 12/02/02
- Federal Express Employees File Discrimination Suit - 12/13/02
- Wage Gap Widens - 01/30/02
- Equal Pay Act Supported, Needed Now More Than Ever - 06/28/01
- EEOC Announces Major Settlement of Class Action Harassment Case at JFK Airport - 06/03/01